Top 10 Things We Can Control
While we cannot control the weather, death or another’s thoughts, much as we might like to, we would do well to pay attention to the areas in our life that we can actually do something about.
1. Our actions. We alone are responsible for what we do.
2. Our words. Spoken or written, the words we choose impact our lives and the lives of others.
3. Our beliefs. If we believe that others should take care of our needs, then we will be frustrated when they don’t. We can change our beliefs.
4. Our values. What’s important to us is our call. No one else can tell us what to value.
5. Our work. Although many of us complain of being stuck in a job or profession, we do actually get to choose what our work in the world is.
6. Our friends. Those we associate with say a lot about what we think about ourselves. We can choose to have friends who support us or who bring us down.
7. Our input. We can select our sources of news, turn off televisions and/or ignore advertising.
8. Our time. Though it sometimes feels like we have no choice, we do choose every day how we will use the 24 hours a day gives us.
9. Our basic health. While we cannot control our genetic make-up, we can choose to exercise, sleep enough, eat healthy food, get routine check-ups, etc.
10. Our legacy. All that we choose while alive—our actions, words, etc.—will become the gift we leave when we die.